Taipei Family Adventures

Friday, April 22, 2005

All New Products is a Sleekly Elegant Bath

I thought I’d start giving titles to my blog that reflect the everyday things I see here that cause me to go “WHY?”. Word for word, store signs, directions, T’shirts, anything I see that I think is strange. Enjoy…

I had a great time in Hong Kong. It was fun to be away, to meet some new people, to hang out with women and not have kids in tow. I did quite a bit of shopping, mainly for myself, which I don’t do very often. The first day there, we went to a market called “Stanley”, which I bought a lot in. I got the girls some clothes, since this market has Gap and Gymboree outlet places. I got Ashley a few dresses (which I didn’t notice until I got home, were all mainly white – UGH!), Liz an out fit and some onesies and myself some really nice linen pants and tops. I’ve always wanted linen stuff, but never really been able to find stuff that fits and that I like, but I found it there! The next day, we did shopping at a mall there and I got some really gorgeous shoes (with heels!) at Nine West. It took me about an hour – they didn’t have much in my size – me and my big ole feet. I was determined to get some shoes though, so I tried on whatever they had in my size. I also got some stuff at a store called “Marks & Spencer”. It’s a European store, with UK sizes. We did quite a bit of eating and I ate lots of different cuisine – Cantonese, Vietnamese, English High Tea and others. The whole group of women I went with are all of Asian decent, so I was the only “White” girl and ended up trying lots of different foods that I wouldn’t have otherwise. There were also quite a few "high end" shoppers in our group - Louis Vutton, Prada, Gucci, Chanel, etc. It was very interesting.

Parts of Hong Kong were beautiful. My impression when flying in was that it was a beautiful place – little islands everywhere. I saw one island that just had a resort on it, that’s it – it looked absolutely gorgeous. We stayed on Hong Kong Island, at the Grand Hyatt. It’s in the WanChai District. I didn’t know anything about Hong Kong before going there, so was a bit surprised at how mountainy it is. The city is built into a mountain, so lots of hills and curves – not a place for stollers or children. We went up to the Peak and rode a trolley back down the mountain – that was pretty cool. We also took a ferry from Central Hong Kong over to the Kowloon side and had a drink at a trendy club called Aqua on the 30th floor of a building. It overlooked the harbour and Hong Kong and around 8pm, a laser light show started on the other side, from many different buildings. That was pretty cool. I tried to get pics, but it was so dark, you couldn’t really see. I had no idea that Hong Kong used to be British – so the city is VERY international! It was very refreshing to have Asians speak English, have English and Chinese signs and menus and to see a large number of “white” people – Europeans. I would catch myself staring at them – how strange is that? But it’s such a rarity here in Taiwan that I was just amazed at the sheer numbers there. The drawback to that is that people aren’t so friendly there. They pretty much keep to themselves, unlike here in Taiwan.

I had a great time, but was ready to come home by Sunday. I gained 5 lbs from eating over there! I thought I walked enough, but I guess not. Anthony and the girls picked me up from the airport and I’ve never been greeted so wonderfully before! Lots of yelling and running towards me. It was great! They had a great time while I was gone and Anthony did a great job taking care of them, but they still missed me.

I’ve had a few people ask how to access our picture website – here’s the link. http://community.webshots.com/user/akaearmstrong