Taipei Family Adventures

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Cops and Baby Dolls

Yesterday I had a first here in Taiwan, my first time to be pulled over by a cop. Oops. I did not get a ticket or any sort of lecture though. He pulled me over for running through a yellow/red light on the way to pick up Anthony from work. He was standing on side of road with his lights flashing, just waiting to pull someone over, and that someone was me. He came up to the car, I rolled the window down and he started saying something in Chinese and pointing back to the light (I knew what he was referring to) and I said “Bu Dong” which is Don’t Understand in Chinese. He said Oh, and looked back at the kids, looked at the dash, then asked me something in Chinese, which I recognized one word as Where? So I pointed to Anthony’s building (1/2 a block away) and he said OK and motioned for me to move on. So, got out of that one. Funny thing is, I didn’t even get nervous when he came up to the car. I thought either he speaks English and I get a ticket or he doesn’t speak English and I get out of it. I’m glad I got out of it though.

Liz has found a new fascination with baby dolls. She LOVES them. She feeds, rocks, bounces, dresses (undresses), plays with, sleeps with, puts chapstick on her baby. It is so adorable. I’ve taken some pictures and hope to post them soon.

Ashley really likes her school now. We have no complaints from her going to school at all. She is doing really well there, making lots of friends and even occasionally, she’s speaking Chinese words (without even realizing she’s doing it). She had her first ballet/dance class on Monday with her friends Claire and Tiffi. She had an ABSOLUTELY fabulous time and can’t wait until next week until she goes again. They were all so cute following the teacher and dancing around. Ashley did well and even seemed to be good at stretching, especially her legs. Must be all those exercises we do with her (or at least Anthony does with her).

I’m staying busy keeping house – cleaning, doing laundry and cooking, along with visiting friends during the day. We have playgroup today at the Children’s Transportation Museum, Liz will enjoy that. Sunday is our playgroups Easter Egg Hunt in the park. That should be fun. I volunteered to bring some treats, so now I have to come up with an idea for about 20 kids of varying ages using things here in Taiwan (not as easy as back home where you can stop at Target and pick up all kind of Easter stuff). Don’t think they really celebrate Easter here, so you won’t see little bunnies or cute springtime stuff in the stores. I’ll find something though.