Taipei Family Adventures

Thursday, March 31, 2005

We Just Can't Get Well

Sickness…ugh…I am so tired of it. It just seems to be everywhere right now. Liz’s fever hadn’t gone done as of this morning, it had gone up, and so off to the doctor we went (at Chung Shan). Now that we are under the National Health Insurance plan, it’s even cheaper to see the doctors! Instead of 10 US dollars, it was only 7 US dollars and no cost for the meds. Isn’t that crazy?! Turns out Liz has tonsillitis. She’s been tugging at her ear, the doctor said her ears are fine, but her tonsils are swollen. So, she’s on antibiotics and I’m hoping her fever goes down soon! She’s pretty miserable and tired since she’s not sleeping much, which means I’m pretty miserable and not sleeping much either.

I had a Chinese language lesson today, which was cut off short due to Liz not cooperating at taking a nap. Usually I have my lesson during her naptimes, but today, she was feeling so miserable, she couldn’t sleep and she didn’t want mommy doing anything other than rocking her. I won’t have lessons next week due to Tuesday being a holiday (we’re hoping to go to the zoo) and Thursday we’ll be leaving for Hualien. It’s slow going, the language classes. Sometimes I enjoy them, sometimes not. I understand more and if I take my time, can say a few things, but people talk so fast here that most of the time it just all runs together and I have no idea what anyone is saying.

I rented “The Terminal” and we watched it the other night (with Tom Hanks). Not his best movie. It had some funny parts, but I thought it would never end as it just seemed to go on and on and on…if you haven’t seen it, you aren’t missing much. We have “21 Grams” too, which is supposed to be pretty good.

One day last week, while driving back from dropping Anthony off at work, I was at a stoplight. The intersection I was at is in the middle of a circle – so there are 3 roads that go through the intersection (instead of just 2) with a middle section for cars waiting for the light to turn. There are three lanes going each way in the middle of this “circle” intersection. I’m in the far right lane, with two buses on the left side of me and a scooter on the right side (they always ride next to cars in the right lane, even if there isn’t actually a lane for them). So, right there, in the middle of this MAJOR intersection, the guy on the scooter waves to the bus next to me, takes his helmet off, hangs his helmet on his scooter, takes his keys and hops on the bus – leaving his scooter right there in the road – not on a shoulder, sidewalk, side street, nope, right in the middle of the street. So strange. At first, I thought maybe the scooter was broken, but it had been running, he turned it off with the key and it was a fairly new one, didn’t look old or rusty or dilapidated in anyway. There’s Taiwan driving for you.

On a different note, the other day, I saw a guy on a scooter stop and ask an old lady if she’d like a ride. She had a pull cart with her and was walking across a rather long bridge. It is rare that you see someone on a scooter offer to help someone who is walking. They didn’t appear to know one another and she seemed happy that he offered to help, but she declined his offer and kept on walking.