Taipei Family Adventures

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Update

I haven't had much time to post while we are here in the States. We've been staying pretty busy during the time we are here. We've seen lots of family and friends and have been having a good time. The visiting family part is wonderful. It's so great to see Ashley and Liz with their grandparents - their little faces just brighten up whenever they see grandad, grandmom, grandma or grandpa, it's just so neat to see.

I have started writing about our Thailand trip, but haven't quite finished it. We did so much on the trip that there is a lot to write about. I'll try to finish it soon and get it posted.

Ashley has seen an orthopedic doctor about her legs. Ashley wasn't in such a great mood, so the doctor only had a chance to see her walk and touch her legs for about 3 seconds. She was able to determine that Ashley's calf muscles aren't as stretched out as they should be and one leg is worse than the other. So we are doing exercises every night and every morning which are helping to stretch them out. Ashley actually enjoys doing the exercises, so that is good.
Today is Elizabeth's 18 month appointment, I'll post later about what the doc says. I'm assuming everything will be good and normal. She'll get a shot or two, so we aren't looking forward to that at all.

I have been to a psychiatrist and a therapist for my anxiety after the tsunami. They both are helping greatly. After some exercises the therapist gave me, I'm able to calm my anxiety and relax a bit. I'm able to think of what happened or what could have happened without the fear and shakiness that I experienced before. So that is good. Everyday seems to be getting better too. Ashley is talking about waves, beaches and trees falling over - but she doesn't seem upset by it - just talks normal about it, like it's a normal occurrence. She even said she wanted to go to the beach yesterday, although Anthony and I definitely don't share in that sentiment. Anthony is doing good, working a lot of hours, visiting people for lunch and scheduling dinners with coworkers and friends.

It's been great being in our house again - I think that really helps in the healing process. We are so glad that things worked out where our house is currently free from "tenants".

I still think everyday of all those affected by the tsunami and hope that they are getting the relief aid that so many people have generously donated. If you still haven't had a chance to donate, please do so - there are so many people that need help over in the affected areas. I can't imagine those who lost their homes, their families and their livelihoods, how hard it would be to recover from that. I've heard that even $1 donated to UNICEF can provide a necessary medical shot for a child. It all adds up.