Taipei Family Adventures

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

First the Oven, then the Bread Machine

I am beginning to think that rejects get sent to be sold in Taiwan at an inflated price and then break so that you have to replace it. First, our toaster oven went out. This is owned by the landlord and of course, trying to get the landlord to replace it is near impossible and trying to get it fixed takes forever since we have to go through our rental agent, who goes through the landlords rental agent who has to talk to the landlord about what to do, who then tells our rental agent who then forgets that we needed something done and never gets back to us. It's really frustrating. So, I just bought a new oven which we'll take with us when we move.

Last week, I tried to make some bread in the machine and it never did rise or cook properly, so I just figured I'd gotten the recipe wrong or the yeast was bad. But then today, I tried again, using a bread machine bread mix, which you can't really go wrong with, and nothing happened. It stirred everything up into a goey mess, but it didn't cook it. So, our bread machine is broken. We got it from Costco, so I'm gonna try to see if we can get it fixed instead of chalking up another loss.

Both these items are less than one year old and it's not like they are used even on a weekly basis, so I'm at a loss as to why they are breaking. I've noticed that things tend to break here easily - cabinets, furniture, appliances, plastic things, etc. I just don't understand.

It has finally cooled down here, a cold front came through yesterday, thank goodness. I was getting REALLY tired of 90 degree weather, even though almost all my maternity clothes are summer clothes. It's so nice to go outside and take a walk in the cool breeze instead of sweating up a storm just walking to the park.

I did my glucose test yesterday and I passed! I was a bit worried and really didn't want to have to sit for three or four hours in a crowded busy hospital getting my blood drawn again. If you live in the States, u should be very happy that you get to drink an orange flavored sugar drink for your test. It's just pure sugar here that you mix with water and it tastes just like sugar or syrup - kind of similar to Karo Syrup but not that thick - not exactly fun to drink. It's quite gross. Anyway, I passed, so that's all that matters.