Taipei Family Adventures

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Weekend and Acupuncture

Time sure does fly by when you spend your days in the bathroom or in bed, wallowing in misery…ok, so it’s not that bad, but if in the future, say 2 – 3 years from now, I mention wanting to get pregnant again, please remind me of how awful this has been!

The girls started at Princeton Children’s Preschool . It has gone really well. Liz did cry and put up a bit of a fuss, but after we would leave, she’d calm down and be just fine. On Monday and Tuesday, I picked her up after lunch and then attempted to have her nap at home, which she would have absolutely none of. This in turn made us both exhausted and cranky. So, Wednesday, we left her at school for naptime and of course, she went right to sleep with all the other kids (little brat!). Thursday, the girls both went ½ a day and then we headed off for TaSheen Resort west of Taipei City. It took about an hour to get there. It’s in a beautiful mountainous area. Anthony had a work function going on Thursday and Friday out there and we were lucky enough to get to tag along. We had a fun time and Anthony’s coworkers even embarrassed him by making him get up in front of everybody and they announced that it was our anniversary and made him give me a toast and speech. He was quite embarrassed and unprepared. It was a nice gesture though and fun to have such a big deal made out of something we’d pretty much almost forgotten about. They also had a small cake waiting for us in the room with a nice card wishing us a Happy Anniversary.

On Friday, after I was able to get up and going (that took a while, didn’t feel too well), the girls and I hung out at the pool while Anthony had some conference calls he needed to make. We left the resort around 2pm and decided to drive the long way home – going up and around the west coastline back into Taipei. We stopped in a town called Bali and went to Taiwan’s Architecture Museum. That was a pretty cool place to visit. Ashley did like it much as they had slanted walls that seemed like they were closing in on you and some dark rooms with exhibits. By the time we were done walking around there, we were all beat and tired and ready to head home.

The rest of the weekend was a blur, we didn’t really do much with the kids during the day and I pretty much stayed in bed resting and trying to keep food down. Anthony and I did go out for dinner Saturday evening for our anniversary – to a really good Teppanyaki place in Taipei 101. It was a full 5 or 6 course meal and we were stuffed! The food was delicious! We also went to see a movie and arrived home at 10:30pm to the sound of Ashley screaming. It turns out she didn’t want to go to bed and Miss Wu kept taking her back to her room to lay down and she started throwing a big fit. Nice way to come home, huh?!

I have started acupuncture for my “morning sickness”. I started last week – the doctor put 5 tiny needles in my ear and I kept them in there for a few days. When I went in to start, I was a bit dehydrated, so the ear ones were not only for the stomach, but nervous system and brain function (interesting, huh?). After a few days, he took those out and started regular acupuncture. 6 needles in all – 4 in my legs and 2 in my wrists – it is quite calming for the most part. The needles in my legs don’t hurt a bit, don’t even feel them going on, the ones in my wrist are a different story. He has me put them in a weird curled up position against my belly while waiting about 15-20 minutes under a heat lamp. It isn’t so much a sharp pain as just a dull ache in my wrist area, unless I move them, then it’s a sharp pain. Overall, it’s not too bad and something I’m willing to continue doing to see if it will help. So far, it hasn’t helped one bit. He wants to see my 3 times a week, so maybe it will get better.

It’s now Wednesday and a typhoon is headed our way - looks like a big one. I’ll keep you posted on how we’re doing.