Taipei Family Adventures

Friday, September 10, 2004

Even with a Second Child...

I still occasionally completely freak out :) Yesterday morning, Elizabeth was very cranky - and she screamed at the top of her lungs for about 45 minutes, and I could not calm her down with anything. Right before this had occurred, Ashley had pushed her down and I was not in the room, so I did not see exactly what happened. After talking with Anthony on the phone (as Liz was still screaming), we decided to take her to the doctor. So I hop in a cab with Liz and Ashley, and of course, once we get in the cab, Liz quiets down and stops crying. We go to the hospital, only wait about 10 minutes to see a doctor, who looks her over, listens to her chest, looks in her ears, pulls her legs, has her pick up objects and pats her tummy and proceeds to tell us she just has a cold. So much for an emergency! He gave us some cold medicine and sent us on our way. Anthony was trying to meet us at the hospital, and the taxi driver took him to the wrong one, so he ended up meeting us right as we were picking up presciptions. The whole visit only cost us 372NT (about 12 US dollars), so it was definitely worth the money to find out nothings wrong. The rest of the day was just about as miserable. Every hour or so, she'd scream and cry and wouldn't calm down. She didn't want to nap, but I know she was exhausted. And when I would get her to sleep, Ashley would wake her up, because Ashley also refused to take a nap. I finally got Ashley to settle down while watching a movie, so I could concentrate on Liz. I tried teething tablets, teething gel, wet washclothes, baths, food, milk, juice...everything I could think of. It was just a horrible day. To make matters worse, it was pouring down rain, so I couldn't take them anywhere to see if she'd relax in the stroller. And Anthony didn't get home until almost 7pm. He had trouble getting a cab back from work. These are definitely not the days I enjoy while being a stay at home mom now. It was pretty miserable and one I hope to not have to experience again for awhile. Once Anthony got home though, we were able to manage to get both of them down by 8:00pm and watch a movie and order room service and relax a bit, so the day ended nicely.