Taipei Family Adventures

Friday, August 13, 2004

So much for a big typhoon :) Just a little bit of rain and some wind, wasn't too big this time. No flooding either, so that's good for a lot of people here.

Nothing much is happening here. We ate at a Tepanyaki restaurant in Taipei 101 yesterday for dinner. It was a very elaborate meal, something like 6 courses, and it was fabulous! Yummy! It was also EXPENSIVE, but oh well, gotta treat ourselves sometimes. Ashley ate quite a bit, along with Liz, who after awhile, we just let crawl around on the floor - now what nice restaurant in the US would smile and laugh and coo and be happy abour a 1 year old crawling around on the floor and a 3 year old playing with rocks in the floor? They didn't seem to mind. Even the chefs came out from the back to stand and stare and smile at the girls. We'll definitely go back there at some point, hopefully just the two of us though instead of four.

Yesterday evening, when Anthony got home from work, the girls and I were playing in the living room, Liz saw Anthony and got very excited. She was standing up with me holding on to her and Anthony put his arms out for a hug and she TOOK TWO STEPS to walk to him, without holding on to anything! Yeah! So, she's trying! I've been practicing with her, holding her hands and walking. She's doing good and I think she'll be walking on her own soon! I hope so, because everytime she gets put down anywhere here, she gets filthy from crawling. I can't wait until she can walk and only her shoes/feet get filthy. I don't know how many wipes I go through a day cleaning her hands, knees, feet, face, etc.

Today, I had to go back to the hospital and pick up my ARC medical paperwork, which was ready. I passed so I am acceptable to live in Taiwan as a spouse to a working husband :) The girls and I walked there and then walked around the city some more after that, stopping to sit every once in awhile. Ashley gets tired of walking, so anytime there's a bench or chair, she wants to sit in the shade for a bit. We probably walked for about an hour and a half or so. We snack and drink when we sit, it's pretty leisurely and fun for me to get out and about. It's so strange that nothing really opens up here until 11:00 or later - so shops are usually closed when we go for our morning walks. We stopped at a playground, really nice one in, just in the middle of a busy area, completely shaded, so that was good. Liz got to crawl around a bit and play on the slides - she thinks they are for climbing up, not sliding down and Ashley had fun running around. No other kids there, just some old people - there was a little picnic area where a jug of tea of water sat, looked like a regular hang out for the elderly, that's also quite common to see here. We then took a taxi to Anthony's work again to drop off the ARC medical paperwork and eat lunch. We asked Ashley were she would like to eat and mentioned Mos Burger, and she was quite adament that we go there - tried mentioning other places, she just kept saying Mos Burger, I want Mos Burger, so Mos Burger it was. Yum, Yum - I think Anthony's getting tired of the place though - he went yesterday too.

We also went shopping last night after dinner. I tried on lots of dresses at this store in the basement of Taipei 101, where they have cheaper clothing and not name brand designer. The saleswomen kept bringing me more clothes to try on, I finally had to say, NO MORE! Enough!
I did find some cute dresses and shirts, so I'm quite happy about that as is Anthony since I only packed mainly shorts, nothing too dressy.

Girls are awake from naps, I must go get them!