Taipei Family Adventures

Friday, October 22, 2004

I should be packing...

but Liz is alseep and Ashley is resting, so I'm on my own and can freely type without either of them pushing the off button on the computer, which has become the new obsession of them both. I think they like to see my reaction when they do it.

It's been a wonderful two days here, with absolutely gorgeous weather, in the 80's during the day and cool at night. Yesterday, Angie and I took the kids to a mall with an outdoor play area and played there for awhile, then went to a park right next to the local airport. They ran around chasing birds and blowing bubbles. The planes were coming in for landings right over our heads. The first few were neat to see, but then the noise got to be too much and the girls got scared and ran to me and covered their ears. It was pretty loud! We got back home and went to get on the elevator and Liz got her hand stuck in the doors - OMG, it was so scary. She's fine, her fingers and hand are fine - no problems, just a little redness. But I was scared when it first happened. I always tell them to keep hands away from the elevator doors but I just wasn't quick enough this time pulling Liz back away from the doors. Poor baby! I'm just so glad she's ok. We did laundry last night and started packing for our trip after eating leftover meatloaf for dinner. (Yes, I can make meatloaf here and cook it in our little oven :)!

Today, Angie came by and picked us up again (I'm so thankful I have a friend with a car, it has made it so much easier to go do things, she's even let us install Liz's carseat in her car so we can go around town in safety) and we went to the Taipei Children's Recreation Center (http://www.tcrc.gov.tw/ENGLISH/AMUSEM%7E1.HTM). We had a lot of fun and so did the kids. We rode the ferris wheel, the carousel, the train and the boats. There are several playground areas spread throughout the park also, so they got to play on those too. There is one playground with a little "maze" connecting several stairs and slides. There were many school kids there playing and we let Liz and Joseph climb up the steps, thinking they would slide down a slide right next to the stairs - but no, they decided to take off in the maze and we couldn't see them. I had to crawl up in it (definitely not made for adults) and find them both. They were happy as could be walking through the maze, seeing kids go all around them, but we couldn't see where they were and with all those kids running around and not knowing if they were going to try to slide down the slide on their own, it was a little scary for us. I found them though and Liz and I slide down the slide together, which she thoroughly enjoyed.

I should go finish packing to visit Texas now...before Liz wakes up. We are looking forward to seeing everyone while we are in Austin. Ashley is very excited about seeing the grandparents and going to a Halloween party where all "her friends and the mommies and the daddies will be" (as she puts it). Don't know when I'll post again, but probably not until we get back from our trip.