Taipei Family Adventures

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Funnies

So, before I forget this, as I often do with my children’s most funniest moments, I am writing it down. This morning, both girls slept in until after 8 am! I can not believe it, most days we are up sometime between 6 and 7:15 am. Must have been the babysitter last night who fed them candy and cookies and let them do whatever they wanted  So, Ashley comes into our room, wakes us up, goes with Anthony to get Liz, Liz comes into our room and immediately points to cookie tray – every night, we get “turn down service” here at the hotel, which includes a small little tray of cookies or chocolates. Liz KNOWS what the plate looks like and what is usually on it and immediately wants it. So, me being the coolest mom on earth, lets her eat a cookie, in bed, nonetheless, just because I’m so happy to have her sleep in and most likely the real reason is because I don’t want to nurse her, which is the other option she’d want.
Ashley is standing on the bed talking with us, when she crosses her hands over her PJ’s and declares – “I drew on my jama’s, don’t look.” We ask her “what?”. She repeats, “I drew on my jama’s, don’t look.” We ask her “why?”. She says “because I did it on purpose”. Sure enough, after having her remove her hands so we could look, she had drawn with pen on her princess PJ’s. She got a timeout, since she knows she’s not allowed to use the pen without us around. Last time she drew on something it was the wall of the hotel room (thank goodness the wallpaper is brown with blue and tan marks all over it, you can hardly tell there’s black ink on the wall.

We went up to breakfast this morning on the 22nd floor and were notified that Ashley is a “TV star” now. She was on the news last night (as were Liz and I also). Yesterday, Angie and I were going to go to a park for the afternoon, but it looked like rain, so we decided to go to the Living Mall, which was having a grand opening for it’s kids floor. They’ve just redone it with a jungle theme and a kids play area and a “Nursling Area” (no, I didn’t misspell that, the sign they have says nursling, not nursing). We were in the nursing area, which is a play area for toddlers, with benches for parents and a sink for washing kids stuff, and 2 rooms with big cushioned chairs to use for nursing and a diaper changing area, which also has a toddler toilet – this toilet is tiny, green and in the shape of a frog – IT IS SO CUTE! So, we are in the mall, the girls are in the first play area and a TV news camera crew starts filming them play in the jungle gym. No biggie, I’m fine with that, although it’s weird, since they don’t ask permission or anything. Then, later, we’re in the nursing area, since both Liz and Joseph needed diaper changes. The girls were playing and the camera crew has come into the area and is filming everyone, but from what I can tell, seem to be focusing on the girls. I’m playing with Liz, when I notice that I don’t see Ashley or the camera crew – UHOH, I go find Ashley, who is going potty on the frog toilet, with the camera crew FILMING her! I immediately asked them to stop and they kept saying, “ok, ok, will use respectable footage”, then Ashley blurts out, “I have to go poo-poo” and proceeds to scrunch up her face and grunt – I am so embarrassed, but it’s hilarious at the same time because they are filming a kid going to the bathroom. Thank goodness, Ashley didn’t really need to go poo, she was done quickly and got up to flush. Then went over to the sink and washed her hands, then dried them. The crew said she was so proper and filmed her doing all of this. Ashley even looked into the camera and said “I wash my hands everyday after everytime I go potty” as she was drying her hands. They asked her name, to which she replied “MMMMRRRR” in a big growl – I think she was tired of being followed around by this point. So, she ran off and left me in the room with the crew who tried asking me all these seriously ridiculous questions like “Do you find this a respectable and proper place for children?” – WHAT? So weird. I don’t think I do well in front of a camera and mike, I just freeze up and go yes, no, yes, no. So, I ran out of there, back to the kids, where they continued filming while we all played a few more minutes. So, apparently, this footage made it on the news, the girls playing and Ashley going to the bathroom – I asked how much they showed and the lady upstairs said it was just from head up, showed her getting up from toilet and flushing, washing hands and what she said after that, although she couldn’t understand the words. So, we are famous right now, in the hotel anyway. Too funny!