Taipei Family Adventures

Monday, August 09, 2004

Tofu Update - aka 'oops'

Husband post:
So, the whole stinky tofu coming from cow manure is my fault, I heard something similar, and it did go a ways toward explaining the smell (although it's still significantly worse than any cow crap I've ever smelled).

Anyways, the truth is apparently more pedestrian, it's just chemicals and fermentation, but still way nasty... Here's a couple of links:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A58021-2003Oct21&notFound=true
http://www.choudoufu.net/
Thus, once again, reality rears its boring head.

Btw, I'll eat stinky tofu or squid on a stick with anyone who comes to visit who has the cahones for it... But I think only the fried stuff and only after significant liquid preparation... Um... probably. I reserve the right to wuss out at the last minute, though I've not been known to do so with other heinous 'foods.' Raw jellyfish, anyone? Whole octopus? Sea urchin?

Thank God for Chili's being an international chain.

If you've enjoyed reading this post half as much as I've enjoyed writing it, than I've enjoyed writing it twice as much as you.
Thank you, Seattle.